Duberly, James Arthur Grey


James Duberly was born in Simla, India where his father was serving with the Sikh Pioneers, on 3rd September 1925, son of Major Montagu Richard William Duberly and his wife, Lady Eileen, nee Stopford.  He came to Winchester from Ashdown House in Short Half 1938.   He left the school in July 1943 as a School Prefect and platoon commander of his House. He enlisted in August 1943 and served in the ranks until he was commissioned in the Scots Guards in May 1944.    He was killed by the flying bomb which destroyed the Guards Chapel at Wellington Barracks on 18th July that year with the loss of 124 lives, both servicemen and women, and civilians.  “His one idea was soldiering and to make it his career”. He lies in St Andrew’s Churchyard, Great Staunton, Huntingdonshire and is commemorated on the War Memorial of St Mary’s, Buckden. In his memory his parents endowed Winchester College with the Duberly prize for the best soldier each term in the Junior Training Corps. In 1947 when they decided to start collecting Chinese porcelain, his parents agreed that on their deaths it should be left to Winchester College in James’ memory, together with an endowment which enabled the Treasury in the old College Beer Cellar to be opened on 30th January, 1982.

War: World War 2

  • Surname: Duberly
  • Forenames or initials: James Arthur Grey
  • House: H
  • Years in School: 1938-1943
  • Rank: Lieutenant
  • Regiment: Scots Guards
  • Date of Birth: 3rd September 1925
  • Date of Death: 18th July 1944
  • How Died: Killed by enemy action
  • Location in War Cloister: Inner C1
  • Decoration: NA
  • Burial Site: St Andrew's Churchyard, Great Staughton, Huntingdon