Simonds, John de Luze
Son of Louis de Luze Simonds and Mary, nee Turnbull, of Audleys Wood, Basingstoke, he entered College first on the Roll from Summerfields, Oxford. He played in College XV and passed into Woolwich in 1901. In 1903 he was gazetted to the Royal Garrison Artillery and served for some years in the east, carrying out important survey work. He subsequently acted for a time as ADC to General Sir Charles Anderson.
When war broke out he was in India. He reached the front in December 1914 and served there continuously until his death, receiving the DSO for conspicuous service as liaison officer between the RGA and the Royal Flying Corps. He was killed in action at Mazingarbe on 22nd April 1917 while in command of a seige battery.
His elder brother, Gavin, 1st Viscount Simonds, was Warden of Winchester College from 1946 to 1951.
- Surname: Simonds
- Forenames or initials: John de Luze
- House: College
- Years in School: 1897-1901
- Rank: Major
- Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery
- Date of Birth: 7th May 1884
- Date of Death: 22nd April 1917
- How Died: Killed in action
- Location in War Cloister: Outer B1
- Decoration: DSO
- Burial Site: MAZINGARBE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, BETHUNE: Grave I.F.12