Hess, Augustus George
He was the son of J. Ferdinand and Alys Hess (daughter of Captain G H Monck Mason of the Bengal Infantry) of 16 Upper Phillimore Gardens, London. He came to Culver’s Close (Bramston’s) from the Reverend C.J. Marshall’s school at Bengeo in Hertfordshire and in his last year was a Commoner Prefect and President of Boat Club. He went up to New College, Oxford in 1910.
In 1914 he was commissioned into the RHA as a Second Lieutenant and served with N Battery, who were in India when war broke out. They moved to France in November 1914. He fell near Ypres on February 24th 1915.
A photograph of his grave can be accessed here:http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=3039897
- Surname: Hess
- Forenames or initials: Augustus George
- House: H
- Years in School: 1905-1910
- Rank: Lieutenant
- Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery
- Date of Birth: 11th November 1891
- Date of Death: 24th February 1915
- How Died: Killed in Action
- Location in War Cloister: Outer D3
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: BEDFORD HOUSE CEMETERY, YPRES: Grave IV.A.57