Barton, John Geoffrey
John Geoffrey Barton was born on 20th August 1924, the son of Captain Peter Geoffrey Barton (D 1905-1908), late Royal Fusiliers, of Auchenskeoch, Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire and Irene May, daughter of E J Shelford. He entered his father’s old House from Aysgarth School in September 1937, going on to become a Commoner Prefect and Head of his House. He was not a skilful games player but was fond of all outdoor sports and took a keen interest in all that was going on. He was an admirable head of House Agriculture.
On leaving Winchester he went into the 9th Lancers, Royal Armoured Corps, gaining a commission as Lieutenant on 18th June 1944. After serving a few months in Italy, where he won a high reputation as a troop leader in the fighting near Faenza, he became ill and died in hospital on 22nd August 1945, two days after his 21st birthday.
His body was brought home and he lies in Section A, Grave 1071A of Dumfries Cemetery.
- Surname: Barton
- Forenames or initials: John Geoffrey
- House: D
- Years in School: 1937-1942
- Rank: Lieutenant
- Regiment: Royal Armoured Corps
- Date of Birth: 20th August 1924
- Date of Death: 22nd August 1945
- How Died: Died of Illness
- Location in War Cloister: Inner B2
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: Dumfries Cemetery: Grave A1071A