Brownrigg, John Herbert Leslie
John Herbert Leslie Brownrigg was born on 6th February 1909, the son of Charles Edward and Valerie Brownrigg (the daughter of W S Akerman) of Magdalen College School, Oxford, and came to Winchester as an Exhibitioner in Short Half 1922.
After taking an Honours Degree from Corpus Christi College, Oxford in 1931, he joined the Burma Oil Company and stayed with them until the outbreak of war. He gained a commission in the Devonshire Regiment, was promoted to Captain in 1941 with further promotion to Major in 1943. He was serving with 1st Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment when killed at Anzio in February 1944, at the age of thirty-five. He is buried in grave IV.N.2 of the Anzio War Cemetery.
He left a widow, Muriel Christabel Fraser Brownrigg.
- Surname: Brownrigg
- Forenames or initials: John Herbert Leslie
- House: D
- Years in School: 1922-1927
- Rank: Major
- Regiment: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
- Date of Birth: 6th February 1909
- Date of Death: 18th February 1944
- How Died: Killed in Action
- Location in War Cloister: Inner E2
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: Anzio War Cemetery: Grave IV.N.2