Pease, Christopher York
Younger son of Sir Alfred Edward Pease, of Pinchinthorpe, Yorkshire. His mother, who died in 1910, was Dame Helen Ann Pease, daughter of Sir Richard Nicholas Fowler. His father was at one time MP for York and Cleveland and also Resident Magistrate and Head of Native Affairs in the eastern Transvaal. His elder brother, Edward Pease (Coll.1894-1899) was severely wounded in Flanders but survived to inherit his father’s title in 1939.
Christopher came to Winchester from Horris Hill, and in his last year stood on Dress for O.T.H. XV. A few months after leaving school he entered the offices of the family colliery business, Messrs. Pease and Partners Ltd., and was appointed director soon afterwards.
At the outbreak of war he obtained a commission in the Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry. The unit formed part of the Yorkshire Mounted Brigade, based in York, but early in 1915 split up into several divisions. However, they came together again in May 1916 as Corps Cavalry for XVII Corps. According to de Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour, Pease, promoted to Lieutenant on 1st June 1916, did not see active service overseas again until September 16th 1916.
He was promoted Captain at the end of February 1918 and by May that year was in line near Vermelles in the Loos sector. He fell near Givenchy when hit by a shell, on May 9th 1918 while serving with the 9th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, and was buried at Mazingarbe.
Captain Pease married in 1910 Miss Margaret Philippa Johnson and left a son and a daughter. Ingram Edward Pease came to Winchester as a War Exhibitioner (F 1927-1932) but was killed in a flying accident near Loch Leven while serving as a member of the Auxiliary Air Force in February 1939.
- Surname: Pease
- Forenames or initials: Christopher York
- House: C
- Years in School: 1899-1904
- Rank: Captain
- Regiment: Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry
- Date of Birth: 24th June 1886
- Date of Death: 9th May 1918
- How Died: Killed in action
- Location in War Cloister: Outer B4
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: MAZINGARBE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION: Grave III.C.8