Tottie, Eric Harald
Son of William Harald Tottie of Tilehurst, Berkshire, and Mary Barron Tottie, (daughter of Captain Francis Barron Blake of the US Navy), he came to Winchester from Copthorne School, and played in XVs in his last year. He went to Sandhurst in 1912 and had intended to enter the Indian Army, but on the outbreak of war he was offered and accepted a commission in the 3rd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, proceeding to France on 8th September 1914 to join the 1st Battalion. He died in hospital at Braisne on 22nd September of wounds received at Vailly two days earlier during the Battle of the Aisne while rendering assistance to another officer in the open.
His elder brother (not a Wykehamist) died the same day when HMS Aboukir was torpedoed in the North Sea.
- Surname: Tottie
- Forenames or initials: Eric Harald
- House: A
- Years in School: 1908-1912
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
- Date of Birth: 23rd February 1895
- Date of Death: 22nd September 1914
- How Died: Killed in action
- Location in War Cloister: Outer E6
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: VAILLY BRITISH CEMETERY: Grave II.D.16