Hattersley-Smith, James Henry
Lance-Corporal James Henry Hattersley-Smith (Coll. 1889-1895), son of Reverend Percy Hattersley-Smith, formerly Assistant Master at Cheltenham College, was born on May 23rd 1876. He was a School Prefect in his last year, played in College XV and stood on Dress for VI. He went up to Lincoln College, Oxford, with a Scholarship and took his degree in 1900 with Second Class Honours in Classics.
On the outbreak of war he immediately enlisted in the 9th Battalion Norfolk Regiment. He declined to accept a commission because it might delay his arrival at the front, and served in the ranks until his death. He fell wounded during the Battle of Loos on September 25th 1915, while leading his section in a charge across the open, and died in hospital at Boulogne on the 7th of October 1915.
- Surname: Hattersley-Smith
- Forenames or initials: James Henry
- House: College
- Years in School: 1889-1895
- Rank: Lance Corporal
- Regiment: Norfolk Regiment
- Date of Birth: 23rd May 1876
- Date of Death: 7th October 1915
- How Died: Died of Wounds
- Location in War Cloister: Outer D2
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY: Grave I.K.11