Mead, Joseph Frederick
He was the son of Frederick Mead of St. Albans, and elder brother of Second Lieutenant Robert John Mead (G, 1909-1914), Royal Fusiliers, who fell in August 1915 (see individual entry). He came to Winchester from Mr. Thring’s school at Brighton, and became Head of House and a Commoner Prefect: he also played two years in Commoner VI, was President of Boat Club and twice won the Gold Medal for athletics. He was third on the list to Sandhurst and in 1912, obtained a commission in the 4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers: the year after he passed the flying tests and was given his aviator’s certificate. He had planned to transfer to the Royal Flying Corps but this was put on hold by the outbreak of war and he eventually went to France with his battalion in August 1914. He fell on the 23rd of that month during fighting on the Mons-Conde Canal, while helping to defend a bridge in the face of overwhelming numbers. He had been hit a few moments earlier while bringing up reinforcements. As soon as the wound had been dressed he returned to his post and was shot through the head a minute later.
Another Wykehamist, Lieutenant Everard Cecil Smith (D1897-1903), also of 4RF, was killed in the same action and is buried in grave II.A.5 of the same cemetery (see individual entry).
- Surname: Mead
- Forenames or initials: Joseph Frederick
- House: G
- Years in School: 1905-1910
- Rank: Lieutenant
- Regiment: Royal Fusiliers
- Date of Birth: 1st February 1892
- Date of Death: 23rd August 1914
- How Died: Killed in action
- Location in War Cloister: Outer D3
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: ST SYMPHORIEN MILITARY CEMETERY: Grave V.B.3