Jones-Bateman, Lloyd Newton

Only son of Rowland Lloyd Jones-Bateman (College, 1893-1845), of Otterbourne Grange, near Winchester and his mother Jessie, nee Burlton, he came to Winchester from Mr. Jollye’s school at Dover.

He joined the Militia in 1896 and late in the same year was transferred to the Regular Army (2nd Battalion Norfolk Regiment). He served in South Africa from 1900-1902 on the Personal Staff; and later on was employed again for several years as A.D.C. in various home commands.

At the outbreak of war he was A.D.C. to General Sir Herbert (later Lord) Plumer, then Commander-in-Chief, Northern Command. In December 1914 he went to France and early in 1915 took command of his battalion, which was heavily engaged at that time near Ypres; he was subsequently awarded the C.M.G. and mentioned in Despatches. He returned to England on sick leave and was given temporary command of a Battalion of the Dorset Regiment. His promotion to temporary Lieutenant Colonel was gazetted in August 1915. He then proceeded to Mesopotamia (modern Iraq) in June 1916, and took command of his old unit, 2nd Battalion, Norfolk Regiment. His promotion to acting Lieutenant-Colonel once again took effect from August 13th 1916. 2nd Norfolks had been captured with the rest of 6th (Poona) Division at Kut-al-Amara on April 29th 1916. Some of its men had been on detached service, and had thus escaped capture, and these were combined with surviving elements of 2nd Dorsets. On July 21st 1916 this unit was broken up and 2nd Norfolks resurrected using drafts of fresh troops. It was this battalion which Jones-Bateman was brought in to mould and re-create in the image of the battalion with which he had served.

In February 1917, presumably considered ready for action, 2nd Norfolks were assigned to 37 Brigade of 14th Indian Division and took part in the action which culminated in the capture of Baghdad on 11th March 1917.  Its first operation was a resounding success, a tribute to Jones-Bateman’s achievements in getting the battalion back on its feet.

In July 1917 he went on short leave in India where, two days after his arrival at Simla, he went into the Walker Hospital for a minor operation. He died next day under general anaesthetic before the operation commenced from “sudden paralysis of the respiratory centre”.   A memorial service was held at Otterbourne Church, near Winchester on 7th August 1917 and he is commemorated on Face 3 of the Kirkee 1914-1918 Memorial. He was a keen polo-player and while in England rode with the York and Ainstey Hunt.

War: World War 1

  • Surname: Jones-Bateman
  • Forenames or initials: Lloyd Newton
  • House: E
  • Years in School: 1889-1891
  • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
  • Regiment: Norfolk Regiment
  • Date of Birth: 19th July 1875
  • Date of Death: 26th July 1917
  • How Died: Died during surgery
  • Location in War Cloister: Outer H4
  • Decoration: C.M.G.