Mallock, John Rawlyn Charles

‘Jack’ Mallock was the second son of Major Charles Herbert Mallock DSO (C1891-95), who had been killed by poison-gas in 1917 (see individual entry) and his mother was  Margaret Iris Mallock (daughter of John Bazley-White). The family home was Cockington Court, Torquay, but after the death of her husband, Margaret Mallock seems to have re-married, since in 1944 she was known as Mrs. Mallock-Brown, of Clare House, West Malling, Kent.

Mallock came as a War Exhibitioner in September 1922 from Mr. B. Rendall’s school at Copthorne. Eventually becoming a School Prefect, he played most games for the House, and in the wider field of school events became President of Boat Club and Captain of OTH VI (for which he played in 1926-1927). Though less well suited to soccer, he had the unique experience of representing the school against Harrow without a single previous appearance in a school practice game.

In January 1928 he went to RMC Sandhurst, where he was a Prize Cadet and gained a Cadet Scholarship. Gazetted in 1929 to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry, he took his full share in regimental games, playing polo and football for his battalion and captaining the regimental team at Bisley, where he won the Aldershot Command Officers’ Cup. In 1935 he served as ADC to Field Marshal Earl Wavell (Coll.1896-1900), then GOC, 2nd Division.

On November 18th 1936 he married Patricia (‘Pat’) Emily Shackle (daughter of Captain H.A. Shackle); they lived at Snode Hill House, Alton, Hampshire, and their son, David John Mallock later came to Winchester (H1952-1956).

In 1937 he was selected for accelerated promotion and transferred to the Hampshire Regiment. He joined 1st Battalion in Palestine, serving alongside fellow Toyeite, James Macrae Corrie Wicks MC (B1928-1933), who would be killed in Normandy the day before Mallock, whilst commanding a company in 1st Hampshires (see individual entry).

Involved in peace keeping duties in support of the civil authorities, this involved searching for weapons, patrolling and making punitive expeditions whenever Arab attacks on Jews got out of hand.   Nine months of this, harassed by land-mines, bombs, sniping and ambushes, distracted the battalion from training for the war to come but in July 1939 1st Hampshires left for Egypt, and were there when war broke out.

On 12th December 1939 they were posted back to Palestine once again for peace keeping duties but left for Egypt in June 1940, where, when Italy declared war on 10th June, 1st Hampshires rounded up the Italian population for internment.  In September they were on the move again, this time to Mersa Matruh on the Egyptian coast, where they were subjected to frequent Italian air raids.  No sooner had 1st Hampshires helped clear up the battlefield after Wavell’s successful offensive at Sidi Barrani in December 1940,  than they were embarked on Royal Navy cruisers and shipped to Malta. There 1st Hampshires formed part of 231 Infantry Brigade, responsible for the defence of Malta against sea-borne or parachute landings.

Mallock attended a staff course at the Staff College in Haifa in 1941, and was promoted to Major. He served as a GSO2 on the staff of the Eighth Army, subsequently becoming an instructor at the Staff College at Haifa in 1942-1943.

In January 1944 he returned to England and joined 7th Battalion of the Hampshires as Second-in-Command.  The Battalion crossed to Normandy in June, landing at Le Hamel on 22nd June.  By 24th June 43 Division, of which 7th Hampshires were part, had assembled near Bayeux.   On 7th July they were tasked with capturing and holding the village of Maltot and the woods beyond it.   They advanced at 0815, after a heavy artillery bombardment, and succeeded in reaching their objective, against heavy opposition, only to find that they had stumbled into a German defensive position of immense strength, backed by Tiger tanks which totally outclassed their own Churchill tank support.  The Hampshires lost  18 officers and 208 men killed that day.

As second in command Mallock had been left out of the battle, a standard procedure which ensured that a core of personnel always existed to reorganize a battalion if it took severe casualties. On July 11th, at the age of thirty-five, he took over command from the wounded Lieutenant Colonel Ray, who later died of his wounds.

On the night of July 13th, Mallock and his second-in-command, Major McPhillips, completed a reconnaissance and went to meet the CO of 7SLI in the latter’s headquarters in the Château de Fontaine, to arrange a change-over. All three were killed by the same shell.

Mallock is buried in grave X.H.16 of the St. Manvieu War Cemetery, Cheux.


War: World War 2

  • Surname: Mallock
  • Forenames or initials: John Rawlyn Charles
  • House: B
  • Years in School: 1922-1927
  • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
  • Regiment: Hampshire Regiment
  • Date of Birth: 17th February 1909
  • Date of Death: 13th July 1944
  • How Died: Killed in Action
  • Location in War Cloister: Inner E2
  • Decoration: NA
  • Burial Site: St Manvieu War Cemetery: Grave X.H.16