Overton, Marcus Reginald Cholmeley
He was the third son of the Reverend Canon Frederick Arnold Overton, Rector of East Barnett and Canon of St. Albans, and Ella Georgina Overton (daughter of the distinguished biblical scholar, the Reverend Alfred Edersheim DD). His brother Thomas Darwin Overton (Coll.1908-1913) was killed in action at Gallipoli in July 1915 (see individual entry); their other brother, Arnold Edersheim Overton KCB, KCMG, MC, also came to the school (F1906-1911).
From Horris Hill Overton followed his brothers to Winchester and in September 1914 entered Mr. Broomfield’s house as an Exhibitioner, but after one term there he entered College in January 1915.
He was one of the many Wykehamists inspired by Mr. R.L.G. Irving with an enthusiasm for mountaineering and in 1932 he was elected a member of the Alpine Club. In 1919 he won a Classical Scholarship at Trinity College, Oxford. After taking his degree in 1924 he was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn, and practised on the Chancery side until the outbreak of war. In 1929 he was joint-editor of Dart’s “Law of Vendors and Purchasers of Real Estate”. On July 16th 1932 he married Kathleen Ward, daughter of T.J. Ward: they lived at ‘Thundridge’, near Ware.
He had held a commission since 1922 in the City of the London Yeomanry, and by the outbreak of the war was a Captain. According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission he was a member of 48 LAA Regiment, but this unit did not come into being until November 1940, so Winchester College records have been preferred in this case.
He died on active service on June 7th 1940, at the age of thirty-nine, and lies in a grave near the tower of St. John’s churchyard, High Cross, Ware.
- Surname: Overton
- Forenames or initials: Marcus Reginald Cholmeley
- House: College
- Years in School: 1915-1919
- Rank: Captain
- Regiment: City of London LAA Regiment
- Date of Birth: 30th April 1901
- Date of Death: 7th June 1940
- How Died: Died on Active Service
- Location in War Cloister: Inner D2
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: St John's Churchyard, High Cross, Ware