Powell, Rhys Campbell ffolliot
He was the only child of Major General Sir Charles Herbert Powell, K.C.B., and Alice, daughter of James Mackenzie of Dumbarton. The family lived at Lower House, Wickham, Hampshire. He came to Winchester from St. Clare’s School, Upper Walmer. He went to Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1909, and passed into the army in 1913, joining the Highland Light Infantry.
He was stationed in Aldershot when war broke out, alongside another Wykehamist, Lieutenant James Adam Hamilton Ferguson (C 1905-1909), killed in action (see individual entry). He was killed at the Battle of the Aisne on September 14th 1914 while attempting with his platoon to capture a German gun.
This particular action resulted in the award of the VC to Private George Wilson of D Company Highland Light Infantry, details of which can be accessed here: http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/bbwilson.htm
- Surname: Powell
- Forenames or initials: Rhys Campbell ffolliot
- House: K
- Years in School: 1906-1909
- Rank: 2nd Lieutenant
- Regiment: Highland Light Infantry
- Date of Birth: 24th July 1892
- Date of Death: 14th September 1914
- How Died: Killed in action
- Location in War Cloister: Outer D5
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: Unknown but commemorated on SPECIAL MEMORIAL 2 OF VENDRESSE BRITISH CEMETERY