Danckwerts, Richard William
Third son of William Otto Adolph Julius Danckwerts, KC and Caroline Marion Danckwerts of Hyde Park, London and one of three Wykehamist brothers. He came to Winchester from the Reverend F. Lushington’s school at Elstree, was a House Prefect in his last year and went up to University College, Oxford in 1912. He died of wounds received at Festubert on December 22nd of that year.
A further biography can be read here: http://www.remembering.org.uk/glosregtofficers/glos_regt_offrs_biographies_D.htm
In April 2013 his medals, comprising the 1914/16 Star, the Victory Medal and the British War Medal, all of which were awarded posthumously, came up for sale on eBay. It is not known who bought them.
- Surname: Danckwerts
- Forenames or initials: Richard William
- House: C
- Years in School: 1906-1912
- Rank: Lieutenant
- Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment
- Date of Birth: 16th June 1893
- Date of Death: 22nd December 1914
- How Died: Died of wounds
- Location in War Cloister: Outer D2
- Decoration: NA
- Burial Site: BROWN'S ROAD MILITARY CEMETERY, FESTUBERT: Grave VII. D. 9